How to act
- Explain to the wounded person what you are going to do.
- Wash your hands with soap and water so as to avoid increasing the risk of infection. Take self-protective measures, such as wearing gloves.
- Remove the clothing from the wound, if applicable.
- Clean the wound with a spurt of cold water or sterile saline solution.
- Clean the wound from the centre outwards using a piece of gauze soaked in water and neutral soap (do not use cotton
- wool, as this could leave filaments), or oxygenated water.
- Cut away any hairs or possible traces of skin using a pair of scissors with rounded tips.
- Rinse the wound to remove all traces of soap or oxygenated water, using water or saline solution.
- Dry the wound using a piece of sterile gauze.
- Apply an antiseptic, preferably one based on iodised povidone, using a piece of sterile gauze.
- If necessary, cover the wound or wounds with sterile gauze and sticking plaster, while pressing down to stop the bleeding. If the blood continues to flow, take the patient to a doctor, who may suture the wound.